This policy applies to users of Vaya’s services anywhere in the world, including users of Vaya’s apps, websites, features or other services.
- Riders: users who request or receive transportation
- Drivers: users who provide transportation individually or through partner transportation companies
- Delivery Recipients: users who request deliveries of food or other items
- Delivery Partners: users who provide delivery services
This policy also applies to those who provide information to Vaya in connection with an application to use our services, or whose information Vaya otherwise receives in connection with its services (such as contact information of individuals associated with Vaya E-Commerce partners). All those subject to this policy are referred to as “users” for purposes of this policy.
The practices described in this policy are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we only engage in the practices described in this policy in a particular country or region if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us if you have questions on our practices in your country or region.
Vaya provides services to users throughout Africa. If you use our services in Zimbabwe, Cumii Zimbabwe is the data controller for your information. If you use our services in the rest of Africa, Cumii Technologies International is the data controller.
We process personal information inside and outside of Zimbabwe.
If you live in Zimbabwe, the data controller for the information you provide or that is collected by Vaya or its affiliates is:
15 Princess Drive
Newlands, Harare, Zimbabwe
If you live in the rest of Africa or elsewhere, the data controller is:
Cumii Technologies International
10th Floor, Standard Charted Tower, 19 Cybercity, Ebene,Mauritius.
Questions, comments and complaints about Vaya’s data practices can be submitted to Vaya’s data protection office through here.
We process personal information inside and outside of Zimbabwe. Vaya transfers information of users’ outside Zimbabwe on the basis of mechanisms approved under applicable laws.
The Information We Collect
- Information that you provide to Vaya, such as when you create your Vaya account.
- Information created when you use our services, such as location, usage and device information.
- Information from other sources, such as Vaya partners and third parties that use Vaya APIs.
The following information is collected by or on behalf of Vaya:
- Information you provide
This may include:
- User profile: We collect information when you create or update your Vaya account. This may include your name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification numbers, birth date, photo and signature. This also includes vehicle or insurance information of drivers. This also includes the preferences and settings that you enable for your Vaya account.
- Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up to use Vaya’s services as a driver or delivery partner. This may include information such as your driver history or criminal record (where permitted by law). This information may be collected by a vendor on Vaya’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, including through user surveys. In some countries, we may also receive demographic information about you from third parties.
- User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact Vaya customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or otherwise contact Vaya.
- Address book or calendar: If you permit the Vaya app to access the address book on your device, we may collect names and contact information from your address book for purposes such as facilitating social interactions through our services. If you permit the Vaya app to access the calendar on your device, we collect calendar information such as event title and description, your response (Yes, No, Maybe), date and time, location, and number of attendees.
- Information created when you use our services
This may include:
- Location Information
Depending on the Vaya services that you use, and your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your precise or approximate location information as determined through data such as GPS, IP address and WiFi.
- If you are a driver or delivery partner, Vaya collects location information when the Vaya app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on screen) of your device.
- If you are a rider and have provided permission for the processing of location data, Vaya collects location information when the Vaya app is running in the foreground. In certain regions, Vaya also collects this information when the Vaya app is running in the background of your device if this collection is enabled through your app settings or device permissions.
- Riders and delivery recipients may use the Vaya app without enabling Vaya to collect their location information. However, this may affect the functionality available on your Vaya app. For example, if you do not enable Vaya to collect your location information, you will have to manually enter your pickup address. In addition, location information will be collected from the driver during your trip and linked to your account, even if you have not enabled Vaya to collect your location information.
- Transaction Information
We collect transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of services you requested or provided, your order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance travelled, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Usage information
We collect information about how you interact with our services. This includes information such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or service you were using before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this information through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers. To learn more about these technologies.
- Device Information
We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Communications data
We enable users to communicate with each other and Vaya through the Vaya apps, websites, and other services. For example, we enable drivers and riders, and delivery partners and recipients, to call or text each other (in some countries, without disclosing their telephone numbers to each other). To provide this service, Vaya receives some information regarding the calls or texts, including the date and time of the call/text, and the content of the communications. Vaya may also use this information for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services and for analytics.
- Information from other sources
These may include:
- User feedback, such as ratings or compliments.
- Users providing your information in connection with referral programs.
- Users requesting services for or on your behalf.
- Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
- Vaya business partners through which you create or access your Vaya account, such as payment providers, social media services, on-demand music services, or apps or websites who use Vaya’s APIs or whose API Vaya uses (such as when you order a ride through Google Maps).
- Insurance providers (if you are a driver or delivery partner).
- Financial services providers (if you are a driver or delivery partner).
- Partner transportation companies (if you are a driver who uses our services through an account associated with such a company).
- The owner of a Vaya for Business or Vaya Family profile that you use.
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
Vaya may combine the information collected from these sources with other information in its possession.
How We Use Your Information
Vaya collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient transportation, delivery and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications to or between users
- To provide promotions or contests
- In connection with legal proceedings
Vaya does not sell or share your personal information to third parties for third party direct marketing purposes.
Vaya uses the information it collects for purposes including:
- Providing services and features
Vaya uses the information we collect to provide, personalize, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
- Create and update your account.
- Verify your identity.
- Enable transportation, deliveries, and other services. This includes automated processing of your information to enable Dynamic Pricing, in which the price of a ride is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance of the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of riders and drivers using Vaya at a given moment.
- Process or facilitate payments for those services.
- Offer, obtain, provide or facilitate insurance or financing solutions in connection with our services.
- To track the progress of your ride or delivery.
- Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a driver, refer a friend to Vaya, split fares, or share your ETA.
- Enable features to personalize your Vaya account, such as creating bookmarks for your favourite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations.
- Enable Accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing, and research, and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
- Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
- Screening drivers and delivery partners prior to enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks where permitted by law, to prevent use of our services by unsafe drivers.
- Using information from drivers’ devices to identify unsafe driving behaviour such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to raise awareness among drivers regarding such behaviours.
- Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision making process.
- Using user ratings to encourage improvement by affected users, and as grounds for deactivating users with ratings below a certain minimum as may be required in their region. Calculation and deactivation may be done through an automated decision making process.
- Customer support
Vaya uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including to:
- Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address your concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses
- Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
- Communications among users
Vaya uses the information we collect to enable communications between our users. For example, a driver may text or call a rider to confirm a pickup location, or a restaurant or delivery partner may call a delivery recipient with information about their order.
- Communications from Vaya
Vaya may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, updates and events.
Vaya may also use the information to promote and process contests and sweepstakes, fulfil any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as a Vaya user.
Vaya may also use the information to inform you about elections, ballots, referenda and other political and policy processes that relate to our services.
- Legal proceedings and requirements
We may use the information we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to your use of Vaya’s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
Cookies and Third Party Technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analysing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviours and interests of people who interact with our services
Information Sharing And Disclosure
Some of Vaya’s products, services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request. We may also share your information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Vaya may share the information we collect:
- With other users
- For example, if you are a rider, we may share your first name, average rider rating given by drivers, and pickup and/or drop-off locations with drivers. If you share a Vaya pool car trip with another rider, that rider may be told your name and may see your pickup and/or drop-off location.
- If you are a driver or delivery partner, we may share information with your rider(s) including name and photo; vehicle make, model, colour, license plate, and vehicle photo; location; average rating provided by riders; total number of trips; for how long you have been using the Vaya app; and contact information (depending upon applicable laws). If you choose to complete a driver profile, we may also share any information associated with that profile, including information that you submit and compliments that past riders have submitted about you. The rider/delivery recipient will also receive a receipt containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, your first name, photo, and a map of the route you took.
- At your request
This includes sharing your information with:
- Other people at your request. For example, we may share your ETA and location with a friend at your request, or your trip information when you split a fare with a friend.
- Vaya business partners. For example, if you requested a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, Vaya may share your information with those third parties. This may include, for example, other apps or websites that integrate with our APIs, vehicle suppliers, or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate, or business partners with whom Vaya may partner with to deliver a promotion, a contest or a specialized service.
- With the general public when you submit content to a public forum
We love hearing from our users — including through public forums such as Vaya blogs, social media, and certain features on our network. When you communicate with us through those channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
- With the owner of Vaya accounts that you may use
If you use a profile associated with another party we may share your trip information with the owner of that profile. This occurs, for example, if you are:
- A rider using your employer’s Vaya for Business profile, or taking trips arranged through Vaya Business.
- A driver using an account owned by a partner transportation company (registered Fleet).
- A rider who takes a trip arranged by a friend or under a Family Profile.
- With Vaya subsidiaries and affiliates
We share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, Vaya processes and stores information in Zimbabwe on behalf of its international subsidiaries and affiliates.
- With Vaya service providers and business partners
Vaya may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
- Econet Wireless as the Mobile network operator
- Payment processors and facilitators.
- Background check providers (drivers and delivery partners only).
- Cloud storage providers.
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
- Data analytics providers.
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Vaya or on Vaya’s behalf.
- Vendors that assist Vaya to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
- Fleet partners.
- Insurance and financing partners.
- Restaurant partners.
- E-commerce Partners.
- Vehicle solution vendors or third party vehicle suppliers.
- For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
Vaya may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies, to protect Vaya’s rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including trip information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
Please see Vaya’s Guidelines for Law Enforcement Authorities for more information.
- With your consent
Vaya may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Information Retention And Deletion
Vaya retains user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your Vaya account.
Vaya retains transaction, location, usage and other information for 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Vaya thereafter deletes or anonymizes such information in accordance with applicable laws.
If you withdraw consent to the collection or use of personal information for optional features, such as features that use your calendar or address book, Vaya deletes such personal information.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, Vaya deletes the information that it is not required to retain, and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
Vaya requires user profile information in order to provide its services, and retains such information for as long you maintain your Vaya account.
Vaya retains certain information, including transaction, location, device and usage information, for a minimum of 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance and other requirements in the places in which it operates. Once such information is no longer necessary to provide Vaya’s services, enable customer support, enhance the user experience or other operational purposes, Vaya takes steps to prevent access to or use of such information for any purpose other than compliance with these requirements or for purposes of safety, security and fraud prevention and detection.
You may request deletion of your account at any time through the Privacy Settings in the Vaya app, or via Vaya’s website.
Following such request, Vaya deletes the information that it is not required to retain. In certain circumstances, Vaya may be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an outstanding credit on your account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, Vaya will delete your account as described above.
Vaya may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, if Vaya shuts down a user’s account because of unsafe behaviour or security incidents, Vaya may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Vaya account in the future.
Choice And Transparency
Vaya provides means for you to see and control the information that Vaya collects, including through:
- in-app privacy settings
- device permissions
- in-app ratings pages
- marketing opt-outs
You may also request that Vaya provide you with explanation, copies or correction of your data.
A. PRIVACY SETTINGS
The Privacy Settings menu in the Vaya rider app gives users the ability to set or update their location and contacts sharing preferences, and their preferences for receiving mobile notifications from Vaya. Information on these settings, how to set or change these settings, and the effect of turning off these settings are described below.
- Location Information
- Vaya uses rider’s device location services to make it easier to get a safe, reliable ride whenever you need one. Location data helps improve our services, including pickups, navigation, and customer support.
- You may enable/disable, or adjust, Vaya’s collection of rider location information at any time through the Privacy Settings menu in the Vaya app, or via the settings on your mobile device. If you disable the device location services on your device, your use of the Vaya app will be affected. For example, you will need to manually enter your pick up or drop-off locations. In addition, location information will be collected from the driver during your trip and linked to your account, even if you have not enabled Vaya to collect your location information.
- Share Live Location (Riders)
- If you have enabled the device location services on your mobile device, you may also enable Vaya to share your location with your driver from the time you request a ride to the start of your trip. This makes it easier for your driver to pick you up.
- You may enable/disable location sharing with your driver at any time through the Privacy Settings menu in the Vaya app. You may use the Vaya app if you have not enabled location sharing, but it may be more difficult for your driver to locate you.
- Notifications: Account and Trip Updates
- Vaya provides users with trip status notifications and updates related to your account. These notifications are a necessary part of using the Vaya app, and cannot be disabled. However, you may choose the method by which you receive these notifications through the Privacy Settings menu in the Vaya app.
- Notifications: Discounts and News
- You may enable Vaya to send you push notifications about discounts and news from Vaya. You may enable/disable these notifications at any time through the Privacy Settings menu in the Vaya app.
- Address Book / Contacts
- You may enable Vaya to periodically sync with the address book / contacts information on your mobile device, and store your contacts information on our servers. This includes the names, phone numbers, emails addresses and other information that you store in your address book contacts. This information is necessary to enable features such as fare splitting, sharing your trip status, and make personalized recommendations for you and other riders.
- You may enable/disable contacts syncing at any time via the Privacy Settings menu in the Vaya app. If you disable contacts syncing, you will not be able to use features that use your contacts information.
- Calendar Syncing
- You may enable Vaya to access and store the calendar data on your mobile device. Your calendar data might include event titles; responses (Yes, No, Maybe); start and end time of event; associated location descriptions; and number of attendees. We use this information to suggest destinations based on your calendar events and to customize your Vaya experience.
- You may enable/disable Calendar Syncing at any time through the Calendar Shortcuts menu under the Settings menu of the Vaya app. If you disable Calendar Syncing, you will not be able to use features that use your calendar information.
B. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. And these platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Vaya app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Vaya app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent.
C. RATINGS LOOK-UP
After every trip, drivers and riders are able to rate each other, as well as give feedback on how the trip went. This two-way system holds everyone accountable for their behaviour. Accountability helps create a respectful, safe environment for both drivers and riders.
Your rider rating is available in the main menu of the Vaya rider app.
Your driver rating is available in the Ratings tab of the Vaya Partner app.
D. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You may request that Vaya:
- Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information Vaya has collected about you and how it uses that information.
- Receive a copy of the information Vaya has collected about you.
- Request correction of any inaccurate information that Vaya has about you.
You can make these requests by contacting Vaya.
You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your account through the Settings menu in Vaya’s apps. You can also look up your trips, orders and deliveries history in the Vaya apps.
E. MARKETING OPT-OUTS
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Vaya within the emails. You may also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from Vaya by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as receipts for your rides or information about your account.
Updates To This Policy
We may occasionally update this policy. If you use our services after an update, you consent to the updated policy.
We may occasionally update this policy. If we make significant changes, we will notify you of the changes through the Vaya apps or through others means, such as email. To the extent permitted under applicable law, by using our services after such notice, you consent to our updates to this policy.
We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices. We will also make prior versions of our privacy policies available for review.